Unibg International -Information for students : Residence permit and Practical information
Unibg International
Home > ECTS Guide (edition 2014/15) > Information for students: Residence permit and Practical information

Residence permit and Practical information


To enter Italy, European Union citizens must have a valid Identity Card or Passport.
Non-European Union citizens must present a passport on entering Italy. The passport will be stamped by Customs and permits entry for a period of three months. Visas are issued by the Italian Consulate in the country of residence (usually within 90 days of application) and must specify the reason for entry, the length of stay and the destination.
Italian law requires all foreigners to register with the Questura (Local Police) within 8 days of arrival; for those staying in hotels, hostels or camping areas, this registration is done automatically by the Hotel Reception.


Documents necessary for your stay in Bergamo (All Incoming Students)

  • Valid Identity Card or Passport
  • European Health Insurance Card for medical assistance, or other forms or insurance documents required in Non-EU countries
  • Enrolment certificate from Home University
  • A document stating the student's LLP/ERASMUS or International Exchange status
  • Passport-sized photographs (for documents to be issued in Italy)
  • Other documents necessary for the issue of a Residence Permit (see below)
  • Any documents which may be helpful when opening a bank account.

Residence Permit (Compulsory for non-EU citizens)

Based on the latest provisions, EU citizens are no longer obliged to request the Residence Permit but should register at the Town Hall (Ufficio Anagrafe - Comune di Bergamo) after three months have elapsed from first entry. This will automatically involve a change of residence from their Home country to Italy, with all that it entails fiscally. In order to register, the following documents are requested:

  • valid ID card
  • enrolment certificate from the University of Bergamo
  • European Health Insurance Card or similar (valid in Italy)
  • Proof of financial support (an undersigned persona declaration of means of support will do)
  • Italian social security number called Codice Fiscale (issued in Bergamo)

Non-EU citizens that intend to stay in Italy for more than a 3-month period must apply for the Residence permit within 8 days of arrival, through certain Post Offices (please check with the International Relations Office for the list of Post Offices that offer the service).
The Residence Permit will have the same validity as the VISA. The application KIT (yellow band) must be picked up at the Post Office and returned completed, with all required documents.

Further information is available at: www.portaleimmigrazione.it

Further practical information

  • National Holidays in Italy
  • 1 November - All Saints Day
    8 December - Immaculate Conception
    6 January - Epiphany
    25 April - Liberation Day
    1 May - Labour Day
    2 June - Republic Day.

  • Miscellanea
    • Italy is 1 hour ahead of GMT and BST.
    • Climate and Clothing. Italy extends over 1,200 kilometres from north to south, so the climate varies considerably, with winter temperatures of -5°C (23°F) in the north and summer temperatures of + 40°C (105°F) in the south. Bergamo, with its northern position, is hot in summer and cold in winter. Medium-weight clothing is recommended, but you should bring an overcoat or heavy jacket for the winter.
    • Post Offices. These are open Mon. - Fri. 8.30 a.m. - 2.00 p.m. and Sat. 8.30 a.m. - 12.30 p.m. Tobacconists' also sell postage stamps. Further information is available at the website www.posteitaliane.it
    • Telephoning. The Italian telephone service is run by Telecom, so wherever you see the Telecom sign, you'll find a public phone. To telephone from a public phone, you need a phone card (available from Tobacconist shops). A local call costs €0.11 for about four minutes conversation. Long-distance and international calls are calculated according to time of day and the distance called.
    • Tourism. For enquiries and brochures, the best place to go to is: Ufficio Informazioni Turistiche di Bergamo (IAT) web www.turismo.provincia.bergamo.it: • in the Lower Town of Bergamo ( Città Bassa) - piazzale Marconi (near train station) - tel. +39 035 210204 - e-mail turismo1@comune.bg.it; • in the Upper Town (Città Alta) - via Gombito 13 - tel. +39 035 242226 - e-mail: turismo@comune.bg.it
    • Consulates. Most Consulates are located in Milan.
    • Electricity. The current in Italy is 220 volts.
    • Emergency Phone Numbers. Free calls:
      • 113 Police (Polizia di Stato)
      • 112 Military Police (Carabinieri)
      • 115 Fire Department (Vigili del fuoco)
      • 118 ER Ambulance (Emergenza sanitaria)